BULKY/BOND MACHINE KNITTING
SKI HAT & SCARF PATTERN
Copyright 2007, Illinois, Patrice Taylor
Printed in U.S.A.
Knitting Machine: Bond or Bulky/Chunky
Pattern Gauge: 1′= 4.25 sts. /5.75 rows
Yarn: One skein Red Heart 4 ply Yarn
Yarn Amt: 1 skein brown, 1 skein tan
Yarn Weight: 4 ply
Yarn Care: Machine wash in warm water.
Machine Tension: Bond Key Plate# 3
Techniques Used: Knitting, Short Rows
Abbreviations: Bind Off (BO), Carriage on Left (COL), Carriage on Right (COR), Tension (T), Knit Carriage (KC), Cast On (CO)
Pattern Instructions for Bulky Machine – Red Heart Yarn
M: 20 inch head circumference
1. Using color tan e-wrap CO 94 stitches. (Needles 47-0-47)
2. Set RC00 (row counter)
3. Knit 18 rows, COR
Shape Right Ear Flap and Outer Band
1. Put left 56 needles to HP (holding position)
2. Put right 38 needles to WP (working position)
3. Knit 1 row, COL
4. Put 8 needles on right side to HP
5. Knit 1 row, COR (need weights to hold work down)
6. Bring 1 needle on each side of ear flap to HP
7. Knit 2 rows (also watch for drop stitches)
8. Repeat from no. 6-7 above until 4 stitches remain in WP
- COR, change to color brown.
- Wrap yarn under needle nearest the knitting carriage, then push 1 needle on each side of ear flap to WP.
- Knit 2 rows.
- Repeat #2, 3 until all stitches are in WP on right side of machine.
- Knit 1 row, COL
- Repeat steps above to complete Left Ear Flap except do not break yarn. Left 38 needles in WP and Right 56 to HP.
- Knit 18 rows. Push all needles to WP.
- Hang Hem: Pick up 1 stitch from bottom hem and place it on EON (every other needle). Manually hand knit the next row.
1. Set RC000
2. Change to tan color. Knit 4 rows.
3. Set RC 000
4. Change to color brown. Knit 14 rows or 6-7 inches from folded band).
- Transfer every 3 rd stitch to left needle
- Knit 4 rows
- Use tapestry needle through all stitches on knitting machine. Remove and gather stitches and sew hat seam using the mattress stitch.
To make the braids, pick up 2 stitches at ear flap end and knit to desired length on the machine. Pick up another 2 stitches and repeat. Repeat one more time. Remove from machine. Braid the three strands together or twist them together.
1. Cast on 30 stitches
2. Push every 6th needle to non working position
3. There are 25 stitches remaining
4. Knit to desired length